Starting a new weekly series in which I link you to some of my favorite stuff from the week. Not every favorite will be included, but I’ll try and hit some great stuff. I’ll also include a few of my favorite photos from the week for a Two-Birds-with-One-Stone kind of efficiency post.
Recipes That Made My Mouth Water:
- Spicy Bean Burritos at Annie’s Eats by Annie. I’m making these on an evening that FireDad is at work the coming week. My boys love beans, so they should be a hit. I’m toning down the spice a bit (for them, not me), but yes, my mouth watered.
- Lemon Basil Marinara Sauce at In Good Taste by Maris. I’ve been making my own spaghetti/etc sauce for about a month now, noticing that LittleBrother was having a sensitivity to something in jarred sauces. This is on my To Make List now.
- Weekend Menu Planning: Dip Into Something Hot for Super Bowl Sunday at BlogHer by Kalyn Denny. I haven’t yet made any decisions as to what I’m making for the Super Bowl party my friends are throwing. I bookmarked a few on this post.
Fire/EMS Blog Posts That I Particularly Enjoyed or Think You Should Read:
- It’s going to be a glorious day. at Trauma Queen by Kal. Please go read this post. Seriously. And then make a promise to yourself and the rest of humanity and vow to NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE.
- Female Firefighter Call Out at Fire Fighter Wife by Val. She’s looking for female firefighters who blog. Go leave your link!
- The Best of Motivational …or Demotivational Firefighting Posters at The Fire Critic by Rhett Fleitz. Some of these are inappropriate (don’t say I didn’t warn you) and one isn’t work friendly (read: FireDad don’t click this at work) but I may have laughed. Even at the inappropriate ones. These will be most funny to those within the fire service family, but they’re pretty much universally funny. As a note, voting is live for the best Fire and EMS blogs. Even though I think the finalist lists are bunk (read: my favorite EMS blogger didn’t make it; sadface), you should vote. No registration required.
Photo Blog Posts that Inspired Me:
- An Idea at Blue Lily Blog by Wendy and Tyler. Those photos of Nie‘s family are just absolutely stunning. Technically and artistically both. As an aside, the post announces that they have finalized their US Tour. They will be in Pittsburgh on October 30th (which is a Sunday, so if your neighborhood messes with trick-or-treating, beware) and Columbus on November 2nd. If you want some crazy amazing family pics, sign up soon. Limited space.
- Something I’m Learning at Light Traces by Michelle Black. This was from last week (I was behind on reading) and there aren’t actually any photos in this post, but it is, most definitely, inspiring.
My Ultimate Favorites of the Week:
- Project: Create a Special Meal at Lisa Leonard Online by Lisa Leonard. I know we don’t “do” Valentine’s Day in our house, but I really think I’m going to make a special meal for my three guys. Maybe I’ll even make it look fancy-pants.
- Life Lessons from Sand Sculptors at In Pursuit of Happiness by Miss Britt. She posted this on the same day that I blogged about leaving the paper and opening my Etsy store. If people can make money building sand castles, anything is possible. Right?
- Daily Work-At-Home Rhythms: Things I Have Learned by Ali Edwards. Again, it’s quite interesting that in a week I needed some encouragement, it was right there waiting. An interesting post about working at home and raising children and time management for those interested.
- What They’re Really Thinking: AFC Championship Edition at That’s Church by Virginia Montanez. Complete with NKOTB references, booger talk and Angry Hulk, among other amusing tidbits. Basically, if you’re a Pittsburgh Steelers fan and you need to laugh, hop on over there. If you’re not, get of my lawn blog. (Just kidding. Kind of. HA!)
- “We Don’t Keep Secrets in Our Family“ at BlogHer by Nancy Campbell. I think this is an important read for parents about child abuse and the importance of words. As a note, it was originally posted on her blog earlier this month.
A note: This is not about favorites. If you aren’t on my weekly list, it doesn’t mean that I didn’t like what you wrote. I will try to keep diversity in this list as well. Sometimes certain things just move me more than others. Also, look for categories to change at will. Because I can.
And now for:
A Few of my Favorite Photos this Week:
I’ve been trying to capture an icicle in this manner for awhile. Finally! This made it into my 365 Favorites set.
Flowers at Alexis’ birthday party at Burgh Baby‘s house. I went with black and white again because I was feeling it this week. Not in the favorites set, but I do like it.
Here’s hoping that this coming week sees an end to the Viral Ick that has been creeping our house, some more great reads and some great photos as well. As I have a new lens coming in, I’d bet on it!
Lastly: Please share a link to either a favorite post that you wrote or read this week and/or a link to the favorite photo you took this week. I want to read and see things outside of what I am currently experiencing via feed reader. Enlighten me and share with others!