Time Flies When You’re In Preschool

We just picked the boys up from their last day of preschool. In BigBrother’s case, it was his last day of preschool ever. I’ve been an emotional mess most of the morning, looking through old pictures and whining to FireDad: “Where have my babies gone?

Despite all of that, these boys sure are cute. And they’ve grown this year. Changed. Learned — good things and bad.

First/Last

First/Last

Brothers First/Last

I think, perhaps, the most mind-boggling comparison is to look at BigBrother on his first day of preschool ever in August 2008. I seriously shed a few tears.

2008/2011

I still see that little, teeny-tiny boy in the bigger version. The head tilt. The sparkle. But he’s grown — so much — in the past three years. He was reading to me this morning while we were all getting ready and I just wanted to put some bricks on his head and yell, “SLOW DOWN! I can’t handle the speed at which we are progressing through your life! YOU ARE MAKING ME SAD!” But I helped him sound out “first” before telling him to brush his own teeth. And sighed, yet again.

And knowing that LittleBrother is on the same fast track makes me flip out just a little. I can’t believe the changes he has made this year, and I also want to put some bricks on his head and say, “QUIT TRYING TO KEEP UP WITH YOUR BROTHER! YOU WILL GROW UP FAST ENOUGH.” But I watch him put on his shoes and walk away. And I sigh. Again.

And now it is summer in the FireHouse. We have a busy summer, full of travel and camping and vacations and all sorts of summery goodness. I don’t want to think about the fall just yet. So many changes will come this fall. I want to put bricks on this summer and say, “STAY. FOR JUST AWHILE LONGER.” But it won’t. It will fly by.

Just like preschool did.

Tiny Prints Cyber Monday

1. LB’s eyebrows! I mean, c’mon! I love how he tweaks them just right to make it look like he knows something that you only wish you knew.

2. I’ve loved watching your kids grow up so much. They are SO adorable and I just love their ears and their attitude!

3. Future hunks; lock your doors (and windows) like, NOW!!!!

4. Your boys are amazing. Our nursery graduation is on Friday. *sob* So fun to see your guys grow as brothers. :)

5. Wow. They really are growing up so fast. I can certainly tell, and I haven’t even been reading your site all that long! LOVE the latest pic of the two of them; definitely a framer. :)

6. Love the comparisons! We will celebrate the “graduation” of my youngest on Friday. I’m a wreck about it! We’ve been at that preschool for four years, between Noah and Caden, and it’s such a wonderful place. It makes me sad to think I won’t be there next year! Yes, I tell them to slow down. I say I’m going to stack bricks on their heads to stop them from growing. But it’s so great to see them turn into the people they’re becoming!

7. I love the comparison photos! It does go by so fast… my daughter came home yesterday and proudly said she only had 12 days left of kindergarten. The same day I got my boy’s graduation announcement from preschool. I almost choked on my lunch. DIdn’t we just start this school year? It seems like yesterday I was meeting her bus for the first time.

8. Oh, Jenna — Some of your posts make me literally ache for my own long-gone babies. I still have their “official” annual school photos lined up along the wall above my ironing board, so that helps take me “back in the day” on a regular basis. You’re so wise to know ahead of time about how fleeting this summer will be, and Kindergarten, and next summer, and, and, and…