I had a photo wall at the old house. I didn’t really have a plan when I started. I just started nailing things and tried to make it look nice. There were multiple nail holes behind every photo.
It started out like this:
Over the years, it evolved into this:
There was no rhyme or reason. It wasn’t bad. It wasn’t great. I knew I wanted to go about it differently when we moved into our new home. I had pinned some good ideas, but have yet to unpack the wax paper. So I grabbed a roll of the kids’ art paper, traced absolutely every frame I wanted to hang, marking their nail holes and got to taping it on the wall. I measured and removed and replaced and cussed and moved a couch I shouldn’t have moved by myself and eventually came up with this grouping.
I was quite exhausted by that point, but I got to nailing. I only had one goof up where I finished hanging a photo and then removed the next piece of paper before nailing. I had to remeasure and tape and cuss some more. But it’s done.
It’s not 100% perfect and, when little feet run, pictures that were hanging straight are tilted ever so slightly. But it’s done. For now. And, having a much bigger living room, there’s room to add more photos as we see fit. Also, I still haven’t updated a number of photos on the wall to reflect the past year. I’m sure I’ll get there at some point.
Adding the photo wall, our art wall, the normal nick-knacks, drapes and the Easter decorations really made the living room feel like “ours” today. We’re making this new house our home. It’s rather exhausting, but I’m enjoying the process.