What I Wore Sunday, August 18, 2013 — #WIWSunday

What I Wore Sunday, August 18, 2013

What I Wore Sunday, August 18, 2013

At least once a day, I hear, “Mommy, you look beautiful.”

Or pretty. Or so beautiful. Occasionally gorgeous.

Always, always from LittleBrother.

Sometimes the words come as a way to butter me up. I’m not stupid; I know that he chooses to say those words before he asks me if he can do something or watch a movie or have a treat or whatever it is that he thinks I might otherwise oppose. And he’s not stupid either. He knows flattery will get you far, but mommy still says no.

But sometimes… more often than not…

Mint and Navy Maxi Dress

I’ll walk into a room. His head will turn and his eyes will fall on my face. On my necklace. On my skirt. On my shirt. On my running clothes. On my jammies. On my yoga pants and t-shirt because life. A smile will cross his face; his smile that warms the cold parts of my heart.

“You’re the beautifulest, Mommy.”

Lia Sophia Jewelry

Sometimes I haven’t brushed my teeth yet, my hair a frizzy, sweaty mess with sleep grease still lining the sheet wrinkles on my face. Sometimes I look a mess after having a busy day full of work and cooking and everything else it is that I do. Sometimes I’m sweaty, just in from a long, hot run. Sometimes I have put a lot of thought and effort into what it is that I am wearing, how I am wearing it, but I’m still having one of those moments in which I don’t feel put together or beautiful or even very much like myself.

His innocent, meaningful words wash over me, and in an instant I’m able to see myself as he sees me. His mommy, present and accounted for, ready for another new moment with him. In these moments, I am thankful for the ways that motherhood has changed how I look at myself, not just at my body, but at myself as a whole being.

Shoes and a Lamp, Of Course

I am worthy of his love — of the love of all my children, of the love of my husband. I am beautiful in their eyes, inside and out. I am thankful for this season of constant compliments. I feel I should store them up for the seasons yet to come, to remind myself that, once upon a time, I was the most beautiful woman ever to someone important: my son.

He Loves Me

May Monthly Coupon Code Banner 468x60

Tags:

1. Aren’t kids just the sweetest? This dress is incredible on you. It makes your waist look teeny tiny!

• They are the sweetest. I love him so much. And that other kid too, though his thing isn’t telling me that I look beautiful. It’s funny how they show their love in different ways.

2. Sons are wonderful creatures. My (12 year old) boy can be my fiercest critic sometimes, but no one has ever loved me as much as he does.

• As a mom of two boys, I am learning this as well. Our older son probably wins “fiercest critic” too, but also with the love!

3. Be still my heart. So sweet. And you look dynamite in that dress!

• Thank you! It’s a lovely soft cotton jersey too, so it FEELS lovely.

4. I love this. C is going through a phase where he tells me, “You’re pretty Mommy” and “You’re cool Daddy!” to hubby. It’s pretty adorable and like you, I want to store them up and hold on to them for the future. :)

• Yes. Store them up in a bottle and sip the sweet salty goodness of it later — when we need it. heh

5. This is my favorite.

• Kind of mine too.

• Aww, thanks. He’s already told me this morning. I’m in jammies with OMG CRAZY CURLS because I showered after my run and went to bed with damp hair. heh

6. I want that dress. Because pockets.
    I may also want to borrow Booey on days when I don’t feel pretty. I’m totally ok with compliments as a means of buttering me up for treats. (And I’m a pretty easy mark for treats anyway. Note to self: mail the boys their presents. lol)

• Oh man, the pockets. And it’s so soft. You’d love it. I kind of want it in a few of the other colors.

You may borrow a Booey whenever you need a Booey. He’s good for it.

7. Oh, I am so envious. Perhaps my littler guy will be like yours? He doesn’t talk yet, so we’ll see.

And I should say that these posts are inspiring. You make good style look so easy to pull off! Perhaps even I could do it! This outfit is particularly gorgeous.