The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway

Frozen

I do not identify as a Disney fan.

The boys like Cars, Toy Story, and The Incredibles. And Nemo. And Ralph. And Sully. And on and on. Whatever. We make sacrifices for our children. And so, I put myself on the line and go to the movie theater twice a year with the two brothers to catch whatever animated flick the mass of society is being forced to endure.

This year, with their birthday movie theater gift cards, we went to see Frozen.

I knew nothing of it before we entered the darkened theater — other than the reindeer and snowman and carrot scene that we were forced to endure when we saw Wreck It Ralph the year before. I didn’t know that we would be treated to a largely musical based score. I didn’t know that one of my beloved performers, Idina Menzel, would sing and sing and sing and sing. I didn’t know about the loss — though I should have because omg, Disney. Let’s kill all the parents, all the time — RIGHT?

I cried during the flipping movie. Multiple times. I felt multiple emotions — anger! sadness! fear! grief! happiness! anxiety! omgkissthegirl! And I hate the way we force supposed ideations of romance upon our children. But, OMG you guys. Kiss. The. Girl.

Basically, I’m a brunette Elsa.

“Don’t let them in, don’t let them see…” Yeah. I feel you, waif-like animated character that could probably use a few extra pounds or curves or whatever you use to make Disney characters not look like they’re starving. Can’t we have a Disney female character that isn’t a villain that presents some other size or shape of a body type? (Ursula remains a favorite simply for this fact.) I feel that pressure, to present the good, the calm the ready to make it happen. Shut it down. Push everything and everyone away. Nothing happening here.

I’ve been forced to play my hand a few times over the past year, had my feelings and thoughts and convictions called out on the line. It’s hard to be real when you just want to pull the wool over your eyes, the hoodie over your head, and hide beneath the safety net afforded you by life in general.

As frozen as I’ve been over the past (few) year(s), here I stand in the light of day. That perfect girl is gone.

Frozen

It’s fine. Let the storm rage on.

The cold never bothered me anyway.

Daily Boutique Deals

1. Does this mean you will go with me to Disney now? (Please say yes)

• Goodness no.

2. I cried, too. Love the complexity of her character. So many {good} surprises for Disney. I’m waiting for the Broadway version now.

• YES! I was thinking the same. This is one I would see on Broadway. My Broadway love trumps Disney hate.

3. I do identify as a Disney fan. It’s not that I don’t see the faults, I do, it’s just that sometimes, I need the escapism that Disney is so good at. So I tell my cynic to stuff it. Frozen surprised even me. I wasn’t actually planning to see it. I read the article about the animators struggling with the expressions of multiple female leads and rolled my eyes. Trusted sources saw it and raved. Christmas vacation was extended by a day (eventually 3 days) and we were staring down the barrel of 4 days of snow and sub-zero temperatures so, off we went.

I too laughed and cried and knew that “Let it Go” would be an instant purchase. The song kicked me where I live. Or more accurately, where I’ve chosen to live until recently. Since my mother’s death in April, I’ve been packing up metaphorical boxes and looking for a new domicile. It’s complicated, and not entirely her fault (at least not the choices I’ve made to exude perfectionism in my adult life). But yeah, “It’s time to see what I can do To test the limits and break through No right, no wrong, no rules for me
    I’m free” The perfect girl is gone.

I live in New Hampshire by choice. Indeed, the cold never bothered me anyway :).

• I kind of laugh-snorted in the theater at the line “the cold never bothered me anyway” as my husband made eye contact with me over my enraptured sons’ heads. It’s totally about me. WOO!

4. I loved Frozen too – and especially that the “true love” was not the typical man saves woman Disney crap. Frustrating though is that I really can’t sing it when others are around, as very clearly outlined in this parody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNr0oW-1xo0

Idina Meizel can do no wrong, by the way. Holy crap she has pipes.

• I am laughing so freaking hard right now. That just made my day. (Though I’m a soprano. And a first soprano at that. So while I struggle with the first part of the song, from the bridge on? GOLDEN! hahahaha)

5. I probably won’t see this movie, but I really like you writing about the hard stuff. Oh and “the hoodie over your head” is often my favorite safe place to be. But I’m trying not to spend too much time there this year.

• I’ve lived in my hoodie for the past week. Because GO TO SCHOOL.

6. Now that Liam is older and doesn’t want to see Disney movies, I’m secretly disappointed. I love me a good cry at an animated film! Of course, I cry at Cars EVERY TIME even though I’ve seen it a bazillion times.