Fall is here! You know how I know?
ZUCCHINI. I love zucchini. It’s one of those vegetables you can use to make eleventy bagillion things. Plus, it usually grows to be ginormous, so you can make all those things out of just ONE zucchini. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
And while I love things like stuffed zucchini boats and zucchini fritters, I like to make sweet things out of my zucchini. All the breads and muffins and sweet treats galore. I pack them into boys’ lunches, take them along to fall parties, and gift them to people who need more zucchini in their lives. Because who doesn’t need more zucchini in their lives?
But now you’re wondering: What’s this have to do with Halloween, right? Stay with me. My most favorite zucchini recipe of all time has to be my Chocolate Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread. I’m not big up on chocolate, but this sweet bread is so moist, so delicious that I just want to eat the whole thing in one sitting. I refrain, of course. Mostly.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 2/3 cup flour
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 cups chocolate chips
- Set your oven for 350 degrees.
- Combine your eggs, honey, vegetable oil, brown sugar, and vanilla. Tip: Use your finger to spread a little oil around the measuring cup for the honey; it will slide right back out. Mix until well blended.
- Add the salt, baking soda, cocoa, and flour. Fold together and mix until it’s all dark brown and mixed nicely.
- Add your zucchini and 1 3/4 cups of your chocolate chips. Mix together.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 60 minutes and use a toothpick to see if it’s finished.
Baker’s Tip: You can also make little cupcakes out of this batter (think: lunch box friendly), but you’ll need much less cooking time. Check at about 25 minutes with a toothpick and adjust from there.
This really is a great addition to a Halloween or fall festival party for the adults in the group (and kiddos, of course). I know I’m more likely to grab a piece of sweet bread than dip my hand in the candy bowl. If you bring this along to serve at your kids’ party, you’ll be the hit and everyone will ask you for the recipe.
With all of the sweet treats coming up, I’ve made sure to get the boys new toothbrushes at our last dentist visit. The kids are also stocked up on Aquafresh® Cavity Protection Toothpaste to help keep sugar acids at bay when we’re indulging in all the fun of the fall season. And by the kids, I mean us too. Because I’m going to make more of this bread. I’ve got enough zucchini to fill my freezer with sweet breads until next fall. Hooray!
And now you can win! Answer this question: What’s your favorite way to take care of your teeth this Halloween? Tell me in the comments for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 10/29/2015 – 10/31/2015